More fruits and vegetables in your diet can be healthy and fun! Dr. Bich-May Nguyen in the Department of Health Systems and Population Health Sciences at the University of Houston College of Medicine discusses the benefits.
“More fruits and veggies in your diet can help you feel better and may lower the risk for heart disease, diabetes, and many cancers.”
Here are some tips to make things easier:
- Look for sales. Seasonal produce is more nutritious and affordable.
- Buy frozen produce without added sugar, sodium or sauces. They are nutritious and can save you time.
- Eat a variety of colors. Red tomatoes, orange sweet potatoes & blueberries — all offer different tastes and benefits.
- Make a game out of grocery shopping and food prep with your kids, like letting them choose a new kind of fruit to try. They can help you peel, slice, cook or plate!
- Plant a container garden with your child. They can help you plant, care for and harvest herbs or tomatoes.
To hear more episodes of Health Matters, click here.